Keeping the DREAM alive: Obama's Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals - Liberty Law

As of June 15, 2012, individuals who were brought to the United States as young children (or “DREAMERS”) can apply for Deferred Action Status.

If you are granted Deferred Action Status, you will not be removed from the U.S. and you can apply for a work permit. The work permit and Deferred Action Status are valid for two years. After two years, you can apply to renew both the Deferred Action Status and the work permit.

You can apply for Deferred Action Status if you:

1. Were under 31 years of age as of June 15, 2012;
2. Came to the United States before age 16;
3. Entered the U.S. without inspection before June 15, 2012, or had your lawful immigration status expire since then;
4. Continuously resided in the U.S. since June 15, 2007, up to the present time;
5. Were physically in the U.S. on June 15, 2012, and are in the U.S. when you apply for deferred action;
6. Are currently in school, or graduated from high school, earned a GED certificate, or are an honorably discharged veteran;
7. Do not have a felony conviction, a serious misdemeanor conviction, three or more other misdemeanor convictions, and/or are not seen as a threat to national security or public safety.

Do not leave the country if you wish to apply for Deferred Action Status; this makes you ineligible for Deferred Action. If you left the country after August 15, 2012, you will be denied Deferred Action Status.

You can apply for Deferred Action even if you have a final order of removal.

Each situation is unique, so be sure to contact our American Fork or Salt Lake City offices to schedule a consultation today!