Illegal Immigrants Can File for Bankruptcy - Liberty Law

Many immigrants have debt from businesses, credit cards, medical bills and mortgages—undocumented workers can file bankruptcy and eliminate these debts.

You do not need a Social Security card to file bankruptcy, but must have an ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number). This is the number you get when you pay your taxes to the US Government.

When you file bankruptcy, you must go to a meeting of creditors. At this meeting, you must bring a document that shows your ITIN or Social Security Number, like your ITIN card or Social Security card, or a pay stub.

At the meeting of creditors, you must also bring a photo ID. This ID can be a driver’s license or a driving privilege card.

The bankruptcy Trustee, who represents the Court, should not ask your legal status at the meeting of creditors. You are a debtor like any other person, and after the meeting of creditors, your bankruptcy case will generally close within two months.

All individuals, even citizens, must bring other documents to the meeting of creditors. Please consult with an attorney before filing for bankruptcy so you can have all the documents you need.